Friday 22 February 2013

Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry

Maybe it's because we've eaten them at Thanksgiving every October since I was small - though not my first Thanksgiving - that year my Grandma fed me spoonfuls of cranberry sauce - but I've always known what a sweet potato looks like.  A few of the younger folks at my local grocery store are still unsure as I have been asked several times "what is this?" as they put it through the checkout.  I'm a little worried that this could be the most exotic vegetable some of our young people have seen - or not seen as the case may be.


My friend Gail was over a couple of weeks ago and I whipped up a quick curry for us to enjoy.  I love a good takeaway but sometimes I just fancy something a little fresher and a little less greasy, this was it.  Very simple and quick, you can have your Friday night treat and not feel guilty about it.




 Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry 
Serves 4

2 large sweet potatoes
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli
2 cups of fresh spinach
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon each cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander
1/4 cup of water or stock

Cut the sweet potato into cubes and steam it in the microwave (can also be boiled) until a knife slides easily into the vegetable.  Mix the spices together in a small dish.  Fry the finely chopped onions in a little oil.  Once softened, add the garlic, chilli and then the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.  Add a can of chopped tomatoes and the cooked sweet potato.  Add a little water or stock to ensure the potatoes are covered and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens up.  Stir in the spinach in the last minute or so of cooking.  Serve over brown rice (or basmati if you're fancy) with a big glass of wine and let the weekend begin!

*Add a can of chickpeas for extra protein (to the curry not the wine)


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis