Friday 10 May 2013

Raspberry Pancakes for Mother's Day



It's Mother's Day in North America on Sunday.  Mothering Sunday as it's called here in the UK was in March and once again I forgot to buy a card to send my mother in May (sorry Ma!).  Instead, I've made her a virtual breakfast.  Maybe my brothers can make this a reality? (hint hint)  Possibly something a little more diabetic friendly?  In a quick search to see if she could even have pancakes with maple syrup (it's a must for me) I came across these two articles (from the interwebs of course so who knows how accurate they are); the first claims research has shown maple may help treat diabetes, the other is an email from a woman with first hand experience who has found her blood sugar levels are at their worst when she has consumed maple syrup.  So I'm not sure - maybe eggs and bacon for the Ma on Sunday?  I'm not a dietitian.


I've been making these pancakes for ages now and have memorised the recipe.  I've found this recipe to be the best at adapting from throwing in berries to mashed banana without having to adjust any of the other ingredients.



I was the only one to taste test these babies (much to the pups disappointment) and would make them again.  I loved the bursts of red as I cut into them and the tang of the raspberries with the sweet of the maple syrup.

We don't want any...really.

What? We can have some?

You're just teasing me aren't you?  (Yes, yes I am - have a gravy bone instead)

Raspberry Pancakes - adapted from BBC Food
makes about 8

135g flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
130ml milk
1 egg, whisked
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup raspberries

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside ( I don't sift).  Combine milk, egg and butter together in a separate jug and pour into dry mixture to thoroughly blend.  Stir in raspberries (don't worry too much if they break up).

With a frying pan on medium, melt a little butter.  Pour enough batter for small disks ( I use a about a quarter cup) and once bubbles start to form in the batter, and flip it over, cooking both sides until golden brown.

Serve with maple syrup and butter if desired or simply eat them on their own (as the other half does - because he HATES maple syrup.  Ugh!)




1 comment:

ShareThis