Tuesday 27 November 2012

Spicy Chili Lasagna

So, you've made enough chili to feed the 5000 but only 8 showed up?  What to do with all of that chili?!  Make chili lasagna of course!


Leftover chili can be frozen as is.  I like to freeze it in single or double portions and then all we have to do is boil rice, cook some chips or bake a potato and dinner is done.  But seeing as though we ate this chili in a manner of ways on Saturday I decided to try something different (here I thought I was inventing something but it's been done before - it's ALL been done before!)

Here's my spin on it anyway.  I thawed some frozen spinach and mixed it with some ricotta cheese and set aside. Then in my lasagna pan (I thought for sure there would be a better name for such a pan but this is what it seems to be called and there's even one that gives everyone crispy edges no matter what slice you get!) I spread a little salsa at the bottom and began layering.  Let your ingredients guide you for this part and be creative.  You might like a lot of layers or a different type of cheese, or (gasp) no cheese at all!  I did one layer of chili and then one of the cheese with a little salsa and repeated about 3 times.  On the top layer, I spread a thin layer of grated cheddar cheese and crumbled some nachos chips for the pièce de résistance.  I baked it in the oven for about a half an hour at 200°C.  I served it with a dollop of sour cream on top.  This dish can be frozen as well, so perfect if you're all chili-ed out!  Which is what I am now after having had it for lunch for the last 2 days (and maybe one dinner).



Anyone else invent something only to find out you were way behind the times?  Though like my mother told me when I lamented, "Everything old is new again".

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis