Monday 19 November 2012

Tomato and Bread Soup

I came across a recipe in the free paper last year while on my 3 hour daily commute (I'm not kidding - read about why I did it here) for a frugal tomato and bread soup.  And, just like my mother, who when I described it to her this weekend said, in a disgusted tone: "Bread in soup?? Ugh", I too thought it sounded less than appealing when I had read it (not sure why - bread is probably the most popular accompaniment to soup).  Alas, there is a reason we shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, or a recipe by it's ingredients.  I made this soon after finding the recipe and it was the ultimate in comfort food as far as soups go.  Chunky tomato soup loaded with carbs - don't mind if I do!  I had used cheese topped bread as well which made it that much better.

So this weekend when I came across these cheese topped scones reduced to just 15p on the day old bread rack, I thought of this soup.


I shouldn't have.

The soup is still one of my faves.  Just don't make it with scones.  It turned out very doughy and it was a bit much but I still ate it.  Even if it made me feel a bit sick.  Stick to bread.



Recipe - serves 2 or 1 hungry gal (or guy)

Ingredients
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 diced onion
2-3 crushed garlic gloves
150 ml chicken or beef stock
1 tsp cinnamon
olive oil
4 thick slices of stale bread cut into chunks - not scones (doh!)
salt and pepper

Saute the onions in a little oil until softened.
Add the crushed garlic.
Stir in the tomatoes and add half of the stock.
Add the cinnamon and simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
Add the rest of the stock and toss in the bread chunks and simmer for a few more minutes.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis