Friday 22 March 2013

Baked Courgette/Zuchinni Sticks

I mentioned last week that I was in Canada, helping my mom out after her hip replacement.  I can say that she is doing amazingly well; 2-3 weeks ahead of average recovery rates!  By the time I left she was using a cane and doing most daily tasks on her own.  It's incredibly easy to take bending at the hip for granted; there are so many things you can't do if you can't bend or twist at the hip.


While I was there I did a few things to try and help out, like clean out closets, rearange the entire basement which involved the treadmill going across the room and back to it's original position and have the final result end up with the television moved 3 inches to the right and the buffet moved across the room; which my cousin and I found funny but my brother did not.  I also gave the fridge a little clean out, since my mom wouldn't be able to bend down to the crisper drawer anytime soon.  I now know where I get my condiment obsession from!


I came across 4 cougettes in the vegetable crisper and wondered who had ratatouille plans?  Really, what else does one do with courgettes.  I would only buy them if I had an intended recipe to include them in but I later found out that they are a great snack for diabetics (which my mom is - diet controled) but only after we used them all to make a few dozen baked courgette sticks.


Sidebar: I'm using "courgette" because it's what is said in England (for a country who aren't big fans of the French they sure use a lot of their words - and vice versa).  In North America they say "zuchinni".  If you want to read more about it (facinating stuff here) check out this page.


These were healthy and quick to make.  Especially since I had little to do with making them.  I cut the courgettes and probably barked a few orders to my younger cousin.  She did the dipping and the baking and I helped out with the eating.  They went really nicely with a tatziki dip but I liked the warm marinara sauce best.

Baked Courgette Sticks

1 cup Italian breadcrumbs (or substitute with plain breadcrumbs and add some italian seasoning)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg
2 courgettes, cut into sticks
tatziki or warm marinara sauce for dipping

In one bowl, mix the breadcrumbs (Italian seasoning if using) and parmesan cheese together.  In another bowl, whisk the egg.  Dip each courgette stick into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs mixture.  Lay the coated courgettes on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis