Wednesday 12 December 2012

Cranberry Blueberry Chutney/Relish/Jam

I would love to be getting on with my Christmas baking but with the puppies, I'm finding it very difficult to get anything done!  Yes, I'm wearing pyjamas and it's midday.  I could put them in their crate but then I wouldn't get to cuddle them and they're so cute and widdle and snuggly wuggly (insert more baby talk here).  I'm one more Facebook mobile upload away from being the crazy dog lady (what? I'm already there?!)



So food for thought - and this actually made me go "hmm" - What makes a chutney, chutney?  A jam, jam?  And a relish, relish?  Research I might take on this afternoon while confined to puppy cuddles but I thought I could spur a little discussion on here.

On Monday, I made a quick cranberry sauce to accompany an orange chocolate mousse.  Having only used a little bit, I decided to turn the rest into a hmmm, chutney? relish? jam?  Maybe it depends on how it's put to use?  I made a tart with it but also had a little on crackers.  It would be delicious on toast and a great sauce for turkey (oh no, is "sauce" now in the mix?).




Chicken and Cranberry Goat's Cheese Tart


Cranberry and Blueberry Chutney/Relish/Jam or Sauce

1 cup fresh cranberries
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup frozen blueberries 
1/4 cup marmalade
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Bring cranberries, sugar and water to a boil.  Stir in marmalade and allow sauce (relish, chutney, jam?) to simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add blueberries and spices and reduce until when the bottom of the pan is scraped with a wooden spoon the sauce (relish, chutney, jam?) divides in two and the pan is visible for a short while.  Transfer to a container to cool and serve with turkey, chicken, crackers, on toast, on pastry, with sausage, and anything else that might go well with it.  The sweet, tarty flavour is a great contrast to a strong cheese and I love the sweet and savoury combo.

So, where do you stand on the chutney, relish, jam debate?









No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis