Tuesday 11 December 2012

Roast Parsnip Soup

There was a thick frost on the grass this morning when I woke.  Without my glasses, it looked a little like snow.  It was not, but better than rain.  Either way, it's cold out there and after a long walk with the dog I needed something to warm me through.  I decided a nice hot creamy soup for lunch would do the trick and soups are so easy - just toss what you got in a pot, cover with water and/or stock, simmer and blend.  I had parsnips so this is the route I took to get here:



Peel and roughly chop parsnips and lay on a baking tray (I used about 8 parsnips).  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a little salt and pepper.



Roast for about 20-30 minutes.  I did this at 200°C - I seem to cook a lot of things at that temperature.

Yep - I have a Christmas oven mitt.
In a large pot, sweat a small chopped onion in some olive oil.  Add stock and water (I used about a half litre of each), a pinch of coriander and cumin and bring to a boil.  Toss in parsnips when roasted and ensure they are covered by stock.  Add more stock/water if not, but not too much as you can always add more once blended to adjust the thickness of the soup to your liking.  Simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Allow soup to cool slightly and then blend with a hand blender (or put it in a blender).  Stir through about a half cup of single cream - completely optional and I only put some in because I had some but it really adds to the flavour (and your hips so leave it out for a healthier version).



The soup had a smooth velvety texture and was absolutely delicious. I've divided what's left into individual containers and put them in the freezer.  A few minutes in the microwave is all it needs to be enjoyed all over again.  This is up there as one of my favourite winter soups, right beside sweet potato and butternut squash.  What's your favourite?

2 comments:

ShareThis