Friday 21 December 2012

The Last of the Christmas Baking

Hark! The Herald angels sing, Chloé is done with her baking!

Over the last few weeks, I have made 9 different varieties of Christmas goodness; some made with ease and others proving a little more difficult.  Starting my baking ahead of time was good in that I was able to take my time and even try a few new recipes that I wouldn't have tried if I were baking everything in one Great British Bake-off style night.  I was also able to squeeze in a tourtiere (French-Canadian meat pie) making session the other day and made 3 in a couple of hours (helps that I buy ready made pastry!).


A little OTT, Yeah you know me!
I took all of the cookies from the freezer last night and with a little solo assembly line going, made up a few tins for friends and family.  It's my favourite gift to give at Christmas and not everyone has time or enjoys baking as much as I do and, really, we can't eat all of that! (well we can, but we shouldn't)

Now there's just the Christmas dinner to think about.  We are currently watching Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas and the husband has just asked if we can "have that".  "Have what?" I said.  "All of that" gesturing to the television.  It's something fancy, looks like brandy snaps and fruit.  He's teasing me (I hope) but I still don't know what to make for Christmas dinner.  I will probably get a turkey in the end but with only 2 of us I feel like I should tone it down slightly.  What is everyone making?  Pork roast, beef, turducken, tofurky or Chinese food??

These last two cookie recipes I'm going to share are easily done in about an hour.  They're great if you need to bulk out what you already have.  Same recipe just different fillers.



White Chocolate and Cranberry Cookies (adapted from All Recipes)

1/2 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1/2 cup white sugar 
1 egg  
1 tablespoon Cointreau 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1 cup white chocolate chips 
1 cup dried cranberries

1. In a bowl, whisk flour and baking soda and set aside.
2. Cream butter in a large bowl and then blend in both sugars.  Beat in egg and Cointreau.  
3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until fully incorporated.
4. Stir in white chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven (190°C) for 8-10 minutes (for a chewy cookie take out while still doughy). Allow to cool for 1 minute and transfer cookies to wire rack.

Change out 3 ingredients, follow the same steps and you get:
 

Chocolate Chunk and Walnut Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1/2 cup white sugar 
1 egg  
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chunks (I used a large bar, placed in a resealable bag and broken up with a hammer)

1. In a bowl, whisk flour and baking soda and set aside.
2. Cream butter in a large bowl and then blend in both sugars.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  
3. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until fully incorporated.
4. Stir in white chocolate chunks and walnuts.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven (190°C) for 8-10 minutes (for a chewy cookie take out while still doughy). Allow to cool for 1 minute and transfer cookies to wire rack.

I hope you have all finished (or are nearly finished) shopping, baking and all around prepping for Christmas and ready to start relaxing and enjoying the festivities.  I attempted a bit of a shopping trip today - I should never have left the comfort of my laptop.  Online shopping forever!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis