Thursday 13 December 2012

Peanut Butter Cookies

All aboard the baking train.  Woo woo - I've been busy today.  I'll start with a favourite - ah, who am I kidding, they're all favourites!

When I was back in Canada, I picked up a large jar of Kraft peanut butter, among other Canadian favourites.  And although you can use any peanut butter for this recipe, for me, this is the best.  These cookies remind me of our school packed lunches as children, as my mom used to bake them for us quite a lot.  Not traditionally a Christmas cookie per say, I do like to add them to the collection purely for the memories.

Another oldie but a goodie from the mom (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, no doubt) I give you:
 
Peanut Butter Cookies 

3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
1/2 granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, beat butter for about 1 minute.  Add both sugars and cream together until smooth (it goes crumbly before it gets smooth).  Beat in vanilla, egg and peanut butter.  In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.  Slowly stir in the flour mixture until incorporated.

Roll into balls (I weighed them at 20 grams each) and coat with white sugar.  Place on a baking tray about 2 cm apart and press with a fork.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.

Makes approximately 3 1/2 dozen cookies.



So, tell me - what do you include in you Christmas baking? Stick to the same things every year or switch it up?

1 comment:

  1. My Christmas baking often ends up happening between Christmas and New Years when I have more time but less need of the cookies. For the past few years, I have found my stash of baking in my freezer some time in February. A little freezer burnt but not enough to deter anyone from eating them. I usually do a couple that I made the year before and try something different. This year I bought a gingerbread house bunt pan and have made four little gingerbread CAKES. Tastes really good. I'm going to decorate them for the childrens Christmas party at the ELC next week (FWI ELC=Algonquin College Early Learning Centre where I work). I'll take a picture if it turns out. Enjoying your adventures and will be trying the mousse recipe over the holidays in Quadeville. Luv U Tante Rachele xox

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis